Kevin-Prince Boateng Seeks Return to Black Stars with the Hope of Playing His 3rd World Cup

Advertisement

German-Ghanaian professional footballer, Kevin-Prince Boateng has publicly declared interest in the Black Stars as the next FIFA World Cup approaches. Just like Sulley Muntari with whom he was suspended from the National Team two years ago, Kevin-Prince has indicated his availability, should the Ghana Football Association need his services ahead of the 2018 World Cup.

Kevin-Prince Boateng was suspended indefinitely from the Black Stars, together with fellow midfielder Sulley Muntari for what the GFA had described as, “disruptive behaviour”, during Ghana’s 2014 Brazil World Cup.

However, unlike Muntari who tendered an apology to the GFA, Boateng is insisting he committed no wrong that deserves the punishment meted out to him by the Association. Speaking to CCTV Africa, the Las Palmas midfielder argued that his suspension was influenced by some persons who had personal bias against him.

 There were people who had a problem with me. I don’t know for what reason. They had their reason but they made them up. I think it was not the right decision that they kicked me out, Prince Boateng told BBC.

But then, the much treasured thought of playing in the World Cup, especially as a third-timer would not allow the once national team player to keep calm. He described playing a World Cup as a “big dream for every player”, adding that if he ever gets the opportunity, he would not say no.



Speaking further, Kevin-Prince noted that it is only a few players who are on record for having played the World Cup three times. He however stated that if he were to return to the Black Stars, he will do so after “a lot of talks”. This he said, is necessary to clear all forms of grudges and bias, and to create a perfect environment to work in.

The German-born Ghanaian joined Las Palmas this summer on a one year deal, after spending the second half of last season with Italian Serie A club AC Milan. He has since then, scored four goals in 8 games; including his debut match for the club against Valencia.

Kevin-Prince Boateng was included in Ghana’s squad for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa  to fill in for the then injured Michael Essien. Also on 1 October 2013, Boateng was selected for Ghana’s 2014 FIFA World Cup qualification play-offs against Egypt. He came on as a 79th-minute substitute on November 4 of same year in the second leg and scored Ghana’s only goal in the 89th minute as the Black Stars secured qualification for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

The Ghanaian player was as well named in Ghana’s squad for the World Cup finals and would have played the final group match against Portugal, were he not sent home due to the conflict that ensued just few hours before the match.

Prince Boateng became winner of the latest CNN Goal of the Week after his acrobatic score in the Spanish La Liga against Villarreal last week Sunday at the El Madrigal.