For or Against? Ghanaians Debate over the Return of Sulley Muntari


Following Sulley Muntari’s apology letter which he issued to the Ghana Football Association and all Ghanaians as a whole, opposing opinions have been coming in on whether he should be accepted or not.

Muntari’s apology letter which was published by the GFA Tuesday night has sparked off hot debate among the populace with many opposing his acceptance.

Muntari was suspended indefinitely from the Black Stars, together with Kevin-Prince Boateng for what the GFA called, at the time, “disruptive behaviour” during Ghana’s participation at the 2014 Brazil World Cup.

 Also see – GBA Warns Bukom Banku On the Dangers of Skin Bleaching

The Al Ittihad midfielder during the 2014 World Cup reportedly assaulted a member of the Black Stars management committee over issues on unpaid player bonuses. He was suspended by the Ghana Football Association, alongside German-born Ghanaian Kevin-Prince Boateng who also verbally abused former Black Stars manager Kwesi Appiah.

Looking at some of the fan reactions we’ve gathered so far on the issue, you would be able to tell how divided the country is on the matter. Below are some of the Facebook comments:

“He should be taking back. we need experience in the team and he got all the qualities to be in the team again. welcome back sule ali muntari,” Rashid Basit wrote on BuzzGhana Facebook page.

Don Perry said: “I will be most surprised if Muntari is taken back. We will be a laughing stock if discipline is not a benchmark. Insult in its highest after the shame and embarrassment they brought us. Pls he should stay retired. They see qualifiers are lurking so they have changed to sheep mode.”

Yaw SunTzu wrote on Joy FM’s Facebook page: “Hell no! Officials would be beaten. Indiscipline would arise again. Hell no!”

Papa Yaw also wrote: “He has done his best for the country and we applaud him for all his efforts…. But I think is time we give the younger ones also a chance….”

Another user, @IamGREE”, said, “He wants to chop World Cup and African Cup money again. After two years, why now an apology?”

Joseph Jerry asks: “Who can play better than he in midfield? Let him come!”

Speaking to Asempa Sports, Former GFA boss Lepowura MND Jawula has also advised, “I think it is good he has apologized finally to the FA but the question of whether he should be called back into the Black Stars should come from the Football Association and the head coach Avram Grant.”

The player has not appeared for the national team since the tournament although many have noted that the timing of the letter is to begin endearing the Saudi Arabia-based player to national team selectors once more.

We would still recall that Ghana boss Avram Grant said at the time he was appointed to lead the team that the door is open for everyone. According to him, “they need to show they are willing to play. If they are willing to sacrifice, then the door is open to them”.

See also – Ayew Pleads Once Again for Ghanaian Support Ahead of 2017 AFCON

Coincidentally, in Sulley Muntari’s apology letter to the GFA, he apologized for his actions in Brazil and expressed his willingness to play for the Black Stars again. Take a look at Muntari’s apology letter once more:

I write to express my sincere apology to the Ghana Football Association and the entire nation for any embarrassment that my action in Brazil brought to the Black Stars Team, the Ghana Football Association and my beloved country Ghana.

I have reflected on what happened and I am deeply sorry and apologize to all the stakeholders in the GFA who were offended by my actions.

Ghana has a special place in my heart and I will forever be indebted to my country and all the fans who have supported me from the beginning.

I am always available to play for the Senior National Team of Ghana whenever I am invited.

Yours faithfully,
Sulley Ali Muntari

Meanwhile, many are arguing that the Black Stars could comfortable cope without Sulley, seeing the team has undergone evident transformations since his over two years absence. Among other notable achievements, the Black Stars reached the Africa Cup of Nations finals last year and also qualified for the tournament when they earned a 2-0 victory against Mauritius in Port Louis on Sunday.

Now, what’s your own take on Sulley Muntari’s apology letter? Let’s know at the comment session below.