Real Madrid star, Cristiano Ronaldo has beaten Barcelona and PSG new signing Lionel Messi and Neymar to win the 2017 FIFA Best Player of the Year award. Ronaldo was announced the winner of the award at the Best FIFA Football Awards held at Palladium theatre in London on Monday, 23rd October, 2017.
The 32-year-old who won last year’s inaugural award recorded brilliant exploits with Real Madrid last season, helping them to a La Liga and Champions League double victory. Ronaldo scored 12 goals including a brace in the 4-1 win over Juventus in the final of the Champions League which Real Madrid won for the third time in four years..
Messi who scored 54 goals last season as Barcelona won the Copa del Rey finished second behind Ronaldo while his former club teammate Neymar came third.
Cristiano Ronaldo at FIFA BEst Player Awards ceremony Photo Credit: AFP
Ahead of the awards ceremony Messi and Ronaldo were the best bets for the trophy, the two having netted over 500 goals for Barca and over 400 for Real respetively. But there were high speculations that the defending champion Ronaldo, will retain the crown having helped Real Madrid sweep every competition – La Liga, UEFA Champions League, UEFA Super Cupa and the Spanish Super Cup, in the season under review.
2017 FIFA Best Player Awards
The FIFA Best Men’s Player of the Year Award was previously known as the FIFA World Player of the Year Award. In 2010, the award was merged with France Football’s Ballon d’Or to become the FIFA Ballon d’Or.
The merger however, lasted just five years and the Ballon d’Or became separate from FIFA again in 2016, with the world governing body subsequently creating the new ‘The Best’ awards series.
Also See: 2016 FIFA Ballon d’Or Nominees
Ronaldo is the first to win the FIFA Best Player of the Year in 2017 after the split, winning the Ballon d’Or in 2016. The real Madrid Star’s brilliant year is expected to also see him go on to match Messi’s record of five Ballons d’Or when France Football Magazine announce their winner in early 2018.
Voting for the 2017 FIFA Best Player Nominees lasted from 21st August to 7th September. Within this period, the four main stakeholders involved in football – national team coaches, captains, selected media and fans made their choices of players to determine who goes home with the prestigious trophy.
These were the 2017 FIFA Best Player Nominees:
- Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (GAB – Borussia Dortmund)
- Leonardo Bonucci (ITA – Juventus/AC Milan)
- Gianluigi Buffon (ITA – Juventus)
- Dani Carvajal (ESP – Real Madrid)
- Cristiano Ronaldo (POR – Real Madrid)
- Paulo Dybala (ARG – Juventus)
- Antoine Griezmann (FRA – Atlético Madrid)
- Eden Hazard (BEL – Chelsea)
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic (SWE – Manchester United)
- Andres Iniesta (ESP – FC Barcelona)
- Harry Kane (ENG – Tottenham Hotspur)
- Ngolo Kante (FRA – Chelsea)
- Toni Kroos (GER – Real Madrid)
- Robert Lewandowski (POL – FC Bayern Munich)
- Marcelo (BRA – Real Madrid)
- Lionel Messi (ARG – FC Barcelona
- Luka Modric (CRO – Real Madrid)
- Keylor Navas (CRC – Real Madrid)
- Manuel Neuer (GER – FC Bayern Munich)
- Neymar (BRA – FC Barcelona/Paris Saint-Germain)
- Sergio Ramos (ESP – Real Madrid)
- Alexis Sanchez (CHI – Arsenal)
- Luis Suarez (URU – FC Barcelona)
- Arturo Vidal (CHI – FC Bayern Munich)