Investigations into Captain Mahama’s Killing has so far seen to the arrest of 42 suspects, including a 12-year-old boy. The victim, Late Captain Maxwell Mahama was lynched and burnt by some youth in Diaso, in Upper Denkyira West District of the Central Region, on Monday, 29th May, 2017, after allegedly mistaking him for an armed robber.
In addition to the first seven suspects who were already in custody as at Wednesday, 31st May, seven more were picked up on Thursday, June 1st, with five taken from Asankragwa in the Western Region, and two caught in Techiman in the Brong-Ahafo Region. Over the weekend, more suspects were nabbed at various hideouts across the country.
According to Citi News report, the Deputy Director of Public Affairs at the Ghana Police Service, DSP Sheila Kesse Abayei Buckman revealed that some of the suspects were arrested in the Central, Western and Ashanti Region. The said 12-year old boy was arrested at Manso Nkwanta in the Ashanti Region.
DSP Buckman said the 42 persons are believed to be directly connected to Captain Mahama’s killing. He assured that the Police is deeply committed to seeing that all the people involved in the crime are apprehended. He further explained that they are being very cautious with the suspects and have therefore kept them at different and undisclosed locations.
“We will not disclose the location of the suspects for now, but what I can assure you is that, investigations are under the careful control of the headquarters and we are being careful not to put them together so that they don’t end up making up stories. So they are placed in different cells at different places.”
Aside the first 7 suspects who were charged to court on Thursday, 1st June, 34 more persons were arraigned at the Accra Central District court 3 on Monday, 5th June, 2017. The suspects, including 4 women and 2 nursing mothers, have been charged with conspiracy to commit murder.
The 34 suspects were remanded in custody pending the next hearing which will hold on June, 21. This brings the number of persons charged and remanded for Captain Mahama’s killing to 41. It is believed that the one person left out is the 12-year-old boy. However, the decision on what will be done with him is not known to the media as at the time of this report.
After news of the brutal killing of Captain Maxwell Adams Mahama got to the Ghana Armed Forces, a “high-powered” fact-finding team led by the Chief of Army Staff, Major Gen. William Azure Ayamdo, was dispatched to the area to gather detailed information on the gory incident.
This was revealed in a statement signed by the Director of Public Relations of The Ghana Armed Forces, Col. Aggrey-Quarshie. It also said that they are collaborating with the police and other security agencies to bring all the perpetrators to book.
Commenting on the issue on Morning Starr, spokesperson of the Ghana Armed Forces Col. Aggrey Quarshie, said the military will be professional about their investigations into the matter, and will not maltreat civilians. He also appealed to members of the community to assist security personnel to identify and fish out the culprits.
On Tuesday, 30th May, residents who could not flee the town were all held hostage by military troops dispatched to keep situations under control. This initial investigation saw the arrest of five suspects. A total of 50 people were first apprehended by the Central Regional Police Command for interrogation during which five of them were found to be indicted in the despicable act.
Speaking on Onua Fm’s Ghana Dadwene on Tuesday, the Public Relations Officer of the Central Regional Police, ASP Irene Oppong said the five suspects have been sent to Police Regional headquarters in Cape Coast for further interrogations while the rest were freed. ASP Irene also said that the Police is going to use all the videos and pictures on the social media as part of the evidences for the case.
On Wednesday, 31st May, the assembly man, William Baah, who had been on the run for reportedly organizing the mob attack that led to Captain Mahama’s killing turned himself in at the Diaso Police station at 3:30 pm. Mr. Baah tendered himself together with another suspect, Yaw Annoh. The two were transferred to the Central Regional Police Station in Cape Coast for further interrogations.
This brought the number of apprehended suspects as at that day to seven. They were William Baah (assembly member and teacher, 36); Yaw Annoh (mason, 32); Bismark Donkor (farmer, 30); Kofi Badu (farmer, 29); Kofi Nyame (farmer, 29); Philip Badu (prison assistant, 30) and Anthony Amoah (Okada rider, 23). All are residents of Denkyira-Obuasi in the Central Region.
The seven were arraigned before a District Court in Cape Coast on Thursday, 1st June, 2017. They were charged with murder in a hearing presided over by Rita Amonyiwaa Edusah. The charges were however preliminary and provisional, as full facts of the case have not been gathered. The suspects who are currently under remand, will reappear in court on Monday, the 19th of June, 2017.