Ghanaian Presidential Jet Catches Fire

The Office of the President in Ghana has not been so much fun as it as been embroiled in so much controversies with many from various quarters, calling for the resignation of the President, John Mahama. That was not just enough as the presidency survived another scare. On Tuesday, the official jet of the presidency caught fire while attempting to take off at the Kotoka International Airport. The Presidential aircraft, Falcon 900, was tasked to perform a special mission at Malabo yesterday, March 3, 2015. On departure from the Kotoka International Airport, the crew experienced slight operational problems with the computer system. According to reliable sources at Ghana’s premier international Airport, no government official or President John Mahama was on board the jet and there were no injuries.

A press statement issued by the Ghana Armed Forces and signed by the Director of Public Relations, Lieutenant Commander, Andy La-anyane indicated that “the fire was caused as a result of friction between the wheels and the runway surface…it was observed however that the left wheels were on fire.”

“As a result, the aircraft returned to the Air Force Base in Accra to reset the computers. During the second run for take-off, the aircraft lost two main left wheels. In spite of the severe veering of the aircraft to the left, they managed to slow and successfully turned off the runway without veering into the shoulders of the runway. The aircraft stopped successfully.” the statement added. 

It was observed however that the left wheels were on fire. Emergency procedures were followed with the disembarkation of the passengers and the fighting of the fire.

Fire extinguishers on board were used to bring the situation under control. Fire tenders from the Air Force Base and that of the main airport also arrived immediately to assist in putting off the fire completely.

“Preliminary investigations indicate the fire was caused as a result of friction between the wheels and the runway surface. Special Occurrence Report has been sent to the Air Force Headquarters and a special investigation team is being composed,” the statement added.

The presidential jet developed a fault on December 5, 2014 when President John Mahama was leaving the Ashanti region to celebrate the Farmer’s Day in Sefwi Wiawso in the Western region.