Nsawam Prison on Lock-down After Kombian Attempts Jail Break Again

The Nsawam Medium Security Prison has been locked-down following an alleged attempt by the notorious criminal, Johnson Kombian, and two others, to break jail late Sunday.

Kombian is currently on a death sentence on a death sentence for killing two police officers in 2010. He together with two other inmates, reportedly moved from his “condemned cell” to the main prison yard together with his two cell mates around midnight.

Also See: Notorious Armed Robber ‘Killer’ Nabbed 

According to DSP Courage Atsem, the Eastern Regional Public Relations Officer of the Ghana Prisons Service, the officers on duty managed to prevent the attempted jailbreak. The Police have also begun a full-scale investigation into the incident to get the full details of what occurred.

Kombian, was arrested, tried and sentenced to seven years in prison by the Tamale Circuit Court, but he escaped while serving his jail term.

He broke from jail in Tamale on Friday, January 15, 2010 under circumstances police and prison authorities described as weird. Garkum had escaped twice from the Tamale Prisons, twice from Togo and once from the Gambaga Prisons.

Until his escape, he was serving a five-year jail sentence for a previous escape while he was awaiting trial for robbery and attempted murder. When he broke from jail, Kombian publicly declared his intention to kill police officers and carried out his threat on October 17, 2010, killing two policemen and injuring another.

Following that killing, the police stormed Nakpanduri and reportedly burnt down about 20 homes in search of the notorious criminal. Garkum reportedly fled to his hometown, Nakpanduri in the Bunkprugu Yunyoo District of the Northern Region, where he sought refuge.

Having failed to arrest him, the police placed a GH¢2,000 reward for any information leading to his arrest. Kombian on November 19, 2010, he was re-arrested through the efforts of INTERPOL. On August 19, 2015, sentenced to death by hanging on two counts of murder, after a seven-member jury returned a guilty verdict.

He is also serving a 30-year jail term on the charge of conspiracy.