The Mampong fire victims could not be rescued from the burning house because of the burglar proof installed on their windows and doors, which prevented rescuers from breaking in.
How sad this turns out be! How devastating for one who returns from a burial to meet the demise of her entire family!!
Mrs Botchey who attended her mother’s 1 week post burial celebration somewhere away from home unfortunately, got a call that her husband and her 5 children were burnt to death in their own home.
It was an unquenchable fire which engulfed the flat with house number W.297 at Worakese, a suburb of Asante Mampong, Ghana, on Friday, June 3, consuming Mrs Botchey’s entire family including her husband.
According to eyewitnesses, the Mampong fire victims could not be rescued from the burning house because of the burglar proof installed on their windows and doors, which prevented rescuers from breaking in. Reports say the fire started around midnight and trapped the woman’s husband and children alongside a visitor
The Landlady, Madam Elizabeth Amoah, said that she heard people shouting that one of the flats in the compound was on fire at about 12:30am. She had woken up and seen for herself that the three bedroom flat occupied by the late resident, Mr Adu Botchey, his five children and a guest, was on fire.
The fire was so intense that the fire service from Mampong and Ejura were unable to save the lives of the victims by the time they were done battling the raging fire.
A mass burial ceremony was held for the Mampong fire victims in the Ashanti region. It was indeed a sorrowful atmosphere at the Mampong Cemetery. The event saw friends, well wishers and residents of the area most of whom were wailing uncontrollably. One could only imagine the exact mood of Mrs. Botchey who was being held throughout the event. This is so sad.