NPP South African Security Men Granted Bail

In a recent development, an Accra Circuit Court has granted bail to the three South African ex-police officers who were arrested in the Central Region for allegedly offering military training to 14 security guards of the New Patriotic Party (NPP).

The three suspects who were charged alongside Captain Koda, the head of security for the NPP flag bearer Nana Akuffo Addo and Captain Kwesi Acquah (rtd), who is also the owner of Delta Force Security Company Limited – the security firm which brought them into the country, were charged with unlawful training and false declaration.

Also See: NPP Angry Over ‘Alarmist’ Reports On Three South Africans

In the court proceeding, the prosecutor, DSP Annor stated that the three were invited by Captain Koda and Captain Acquah to train security personnel of the NPP. However, all pleaded not guilty to the charges.

The presiding judge Patricia Quansah ruled that each of them be granted bail to the tune of GHc 20,000 each with one surety. However, state persisted that it needs more time to investigate the matter.

The presiding judge also ordered the Bureau of National Investigation (BNI) to keep the passports of the suspects till further notice. The Judge also ruled that the accused persons be held at the court registry till their bail requirements was met, but the BNI defied the order by taking them back to their cells.

See Also: South African High Commission To Meet With Hannah Tetteh Over Arrest of Citizens

Major Ahmed Shaik Hazis (rtd), 54; Warrant Officer Denver Dwayhe, 33, Captain Mlungiseli Jokani, 45 were arrested at the El Capitano hotel on March 20 by the BNI. They were held based on allegations that they were training some young people in various security drills, which were considered suspicious.

Subsequently, the Head of Nana Addo’s security team Captain (rtd) Edmund Koda and the owner of the EL-Capitano Hotel Captain (rtd) Acquah, were also arrested and charged alongside the SA nationals.

Following the bail granted to the suspects, the case has been adjourned to April 12, 2016.