Tragic: Fire Razed House, Mother, BECE Candidate… In Santasi

A domestic fire has reportedly burnt down a house killing a mother and her daughter who was to sit her final Basic Education Certificate Examination, BECE, at Santasi, a suburb of Kumasi in Ashanti regional.

See Also: Ghastly Car Crash Kills Five Including NDC Youth Activist

According to reports, another 21-year old Abena was also killed in the fire. The victims were trapped inside the house as the fire began in the kitchen at around 1am Friday, they could not get away from the fire since the kitchen was their only escape route.

They remained trapped until the fire extended to the room where they were. Report says they were charred beyond recognition.

The mother, Akosua Danquah, is a 53-year old waakye seller who has a work helper, 21-year old Abena living with her. Her 17-year old daughter, Lydia, was to sit her last paper at the Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE) at the Fankyenekor preparatory school.

One of the residents said the fire incident was the third to have occurred in the same house. She told correspondents that thieves often break into the storeroom whenever the mother goes out to purchase supplies for her business.

See Also: Victim of Krofrom Police Brutality Buried: Late Osei’s Family Did to Avenge his Death!

The thieves, she said, set fire to the storeroom after stealing their booty. Meanwhile police investigations have identified a gallon of diesel at a corner of the storeroom.

Another BECE Candidate Death Incident

In another death incident, which involved a BECE candidate identified as 17-year old Aminu Dawuda, a student of Redeemer International School who drowned in a river after he and his friends had gone swimming to celebrate a successful completion of the Basic Education Certificate Examination.

An eye-witness reported that the bank of River called Aprakum has been turned into a resort where residents go to enjoy themselves on holidays.

So the candidates, he said, went swimming in the river, but Aminu drowned in the process. Some people at the river side tried to rescue him, they rushed him to the Adansi Anhwiaso clinic and later transferred him to the New Edubiase Government Hospital.

See Also: Vote NDC Out Or Drown In Poverty – Nana Addo Warns Ghanaians

Unfortunately, Aminu Dawuda was pronounced dead upon arrival at the hospital. His body has been deposited at the hospital morgue pending autopsy.