University of Ghana Commonwealth Hall Murder: Everything You Want To Know!

It has been a state of unsure security among students of the University of Ghana, especially those living on campus, following the murder of one Martin Tweneboah Kodua aka Chief Tipsy at the charging grounds of Commonwealth Hall at the University of Ghana, on the night of Saturday, 9th December, 2017.

The Commonwealth Hall murder occurred after a heated argument between Martin, a member of the Old Vandals Association and another Old Vandal while they [a group of Old Vandals] traveled back to campus from the funeral their colleague at Amrahia.

Also Read: Everything About Kumasi Academy ‘Mysterious’ Deaths

A Ghanaweb report has it that Nathaniel’s murderer got infuriated when he questioned his ‘Vandal status’. A statement released by the Old Vandals Association on the incident, also revealed that the two were separated on several occasions during their heated arguments on the bus.

According to the statement, it started as a mere argument between the two (the deceased and the killer) in the OVA [Old Vandals Association] bus on their way from Amrahia to campus (after attending the funeral of the late Vandal Lion).

Also See: Spine-chilling Revelations from Ghanaian Libya Returnees

The argument however, became heated and although the two were separated on several occasions by others, the verbal altercation went on and on. So, when the group got to Atomic Junction, the driver was advised to stop and the two were thrown out of the bus, with others following suit. The two got to the Commonwealth hall still arguing and quarreling.

Commonwealth Hall Murder – Deceased Martin (32): L, Killer George (18): R

At some point of the continuing brawl, the killer allegedly grabbed the knife of a khebab seller and stabbed the victim several times with it. Some sources however, say that the Killer’s decision to snatch the knife was triggered by a slap from Chief Tipsy in the course of their argument. He is said to have stabbed him about six times in the neck.

The victim bled profusely and was rushed to the Legon Hospital by the killer and some Vandals. Unfortunately, “the doctors could not save his life and he was pronounced dead around 1900 hours GMT,” the Old Vandals’ statement said.

UG Says Students are Safe

The management of the University of Ghana has called for calm among parents and the general public following the incident, noting that “no threat has been identified which could cause any danger to our students in this respect.”

The management in a statement signed by the Director of Public Affairs, Stella Amoa, said the incident in no way threatened security or the safety of students on the school’s campus as the incident is “an isolated case”, involving no current students of the university.

It further said the Careers and Counseling Centre of the school is on standby to counsel any student who may have been traumatized by the incident.

Suspect to be Arraigned

The Public Relations Officer of the Accra Regional Police Command, ASP Afia Tenge, has said that the suspected murderer of Nathaniel will be put before court as soon as investigations into the matter are concluded.

The suspect, whose name was given as George Osei Mennsah, is currently in the custody of the Legon District Police assisting in investigations.

…He is still in detention and assisting in investigations so when we are doing with our investigations, we will make sure we arraigned him before a court,” ASP Tenge stated.