Update: 8 Month-old Survives Gory Kintanpo Accident; Death Toll Now 61

An eight month old baby miraculously survived the deadly Wednesday night accident at Kintampo in the Brong Ahafo region.

The baby said to be a female, according to Adom News correspondent, Koofori Bossu is one of the injured on admission at the Kintampo Government Hospital. Unfortunately, the mother of the baby girl was part of the numerous persons that perished in the accident.

As at Thursday evening, the recorded number of people who lost their lives in the accident is 61. This is according to reports gotten from the police, as was confirmed by ASP Christopher Tawiah, Spokesperson of the Brong Ahafo Regional Police Command.

The latest and the final report is that 61 dead and then 25 are in critical condition. They are the survivors. They referred them to the hospitals that we have. Eight have been referred to the Komfo Anokye hospital and six have been referred to Techiman Holy Family Hospital and then two to the Tamale hospital and then 11 to Sunyani hospital..

According to the police, 3 out of 4 people on-board the truck instantly lost their lives in the fatal accident. The one truck survivor was identified as Alhassan.

Reports from myjoyonline.com revealed that the three people who perished in the truck include the driver, Kwabena Boamah – also known as ‘Take and Die’ – believed to be a native of Akomadan Afrancho in the Ashanti Region, a man identified only as Oppong and an unidentified woman.

The Accident

The accident occurred around 8:00 pm when a Kumasi bound Metro Mass bus had a head-on collision with a truck carrying tomatoes believed to be traveling from Ouagadougou in Burkina Faso to Accra. The deadly crash occurred at the Kintampo Waterfalls junction in the Brong Ahafo Region on Wednesday night.

An eyewitness related that one of the reasons for the massive death was that the forceful impact of the collision caused the MMT bus engine to fall out, trapping down many of the passengers underneath.

Nhyira FM’s Ohemeng Tawiah reports that due to an absence of ambulance at the crash site severely injured passengers were transported in KIA trucks and taxis, along with the dead.

It was revealed that emergency service rescue was delayed about four hours from the time of the accident. This has raised many concerns and questions from people as their immediate response would have saved more lives and eased treatment too.

Efforts by a team of military, fire service and police to free passengers trapped in the mangled Metro Mass bus with registration AS 7131 Y for a several hours proved unsuccessful. Reports indicate locals helped greatly with efforts to remove dead bodies and the injured.

Brong Ahafo Regional Police Commander DCOP Maxwell Atingani, told Joy News that one of the survivors said the bus developed a brake problem when it got to Techiman, about 62km from the crash site. The passenger told police the driver of the bus stopped to fix the problem, but the mechanic who came to work on the vehicle failed to solve the problem.

However, the bus driver, determined to reach his destination, continued the journey with the faulty brakes and on reaching a steep curve at Kintampo, the brakes failed and rammed into the cargo truck.

Other survivors however, where of the opinion that the accident was mostly caused by over-speeding on the part of the bus driver. They said he collided with the truck while trying to overtake him at a very high speed. Describing how the accident occurred, the survivor named Sumaila who has lost both legs said, the driver refused the plea of passengers to reduce his speed.

The driver said he wanted to hurry up to the station to pick passengers for the return journey. He was really speeding. I have never seen a bus ran so fast, Sumaila said.

According to Sumaila, the driver veered off the road, hit two cattle on the side of the road before ramming headlong into a cargo truck which was moving from the opposite direction.

Heavy traffic built on the road Wednesday night due to the fatal crash as vehicles queue for the accident scene to clear, however DCOP Atingani says the road has cleared.

It took the intervention of the police led by the  Kintampo Divisional Commander, Chief Supritendent Desmond Owusu Boampong, to partially decongest the road.

Meanwhile, the President, John Dramani Mahama has expressed deep grief over the incident and has since been sending condolence messages on twitter to families of the deceased.


We’ll keep you updated as we gather more news on the incident.