Speculations that some Black Stars B players who performed well during the 2017 WAFU Cup of Nations will be called up to play in the next World Cup Qualifier have been confirmed following Kwesi Appiah’s release of the squad for the October Ghana-Uganda clash.
Hearts of Oak duo Vincent Atingah and Cobbinah Winful, Asante Kotoko captain Amos Frimpong, Aduana Stars goalie Joseph Addo and Inter Allies Isaac Twum were among the home-based players who played very significant roles in helping Ghana emerge champions in the just ended WAFU tournament.
Their impressive performances attracted the attention of the Black Stars Coach and his team, thereby sparking rumours that they stand chances of playing for the senior team.
Recall that Kwesi Appiah on his assumption of duties as a second-time Black Stars coach, promised to ensure that composition of the national team squad will continually be based on competition and expertise.
Coach Appiah who loves giving young stars chances to shine, had also encouraged local players to work very hard as they will from time to time get spots in the senior team squad if they do well.
It is therefore in keeping to his words that Mr. Appiah picked up some of the talented WAFU Stars while naming his 26-man squad for the Ghana-Uganda 2018 WCQ coming up on October 7.
Although not all of the five speculated players were included in the Uganda squad, Vincent Atinga, Isaac Twum and Joseph Addo who also made last month’s list were named.
Kwesi Appiah used them, together with new internationals such as Malmo’s Kingsley Sarfo and Young Bosto’s Kasim Nuhu to replace some old players who were dropped from the Black Stars team.
See full list of the Ghana-Uganda Squad below:
- Richard Ofori (Martizburg,South Africa)
- Lawrence Ati (Sochaux, France)
- Joseph Addo (Aduana Stars)
- Harrison Afful (Columbus, USA)
- Daniel Opare (Augsburg, Germany)
- Agbenyenu Lumor (Portimonese, Portugal)
- Abass Mohammed (Harrisburg City, USA)
- Kasim Nuhu (Young Boys, Switzerland)
- Daniel Amartey (Leicester,England)
- Jonathan Mensah (Columbus Crew,USA)
- Nicholas Opoku (Club Africain, Tunisia)
- Vincent Atinga (Hearts of Oak)
- Thomas Partey (Atletico Madrid, Spain)
- Joseph Attamah (Bakaksehir, Turkey)
- Christian Atsu (Newcastle United, England)
- Kingsley Sarfo (Malmo, Sweden)
- Alfred Duncan (Sassuolo FC, Italy)
- Ebenezer Ofori (Stuttgart, Germany)
- Thomas Agyepong (NAC Breda, Holland)
- Frank Acheampong (Tianjin TEDA, China)
- Isaac Twum (Inter Allies)
- Patrick Twumasi (Astana FC, Kazakhtan)
- Asamoah Gyan (Kayerispor, Turkey)
- Raphael Dwamena (FC Zurich, Switzerland)
- John Antwi (Misr Lel-Makkasa, Egypt)
- Richmond Boakye Yiadom (Crvena Zvezda, Serbia)