Sports journalist and President of the Ghana Beach Soccer Association, Yaw Ampofo-Ankrah has chastised critics frowning at outgoing President John Mahama’s juicy retirement package.
Mahama’s critics have still not let him be, even as he has lost the December 2016 elections to President-elect Nana Akufo-Addo. It was earlier reported that the outgoing president will be retiring on a salary of GH¢22,809 up from the non-taxable salary of GH¢15,972 previously approved for presidents.
The amount which reflects about 43 percent increase from the amount previously paid to presidents, has raised lots of eye brows among stakeholders, especially critics of the outgoing President.
But Yaw Ampofo-Ankrah who thinks Mahama deserves even more, has come out to rebuke his critics. Commenting on the monthly take-home salary for the president, Mr. Ampofo-Ankrah took to social media to compare how much he earns as an anchor with SuperSports, covering an international football tournament.
The renowned sports journalist regarded Mahama’s critics as hypocrites, adding that if he could; he would pay the amount himself to the outgoing President, as well as all former living heads of state for the sacrifices they have made for the country’s good.
Among other retirement benefits, Mahama is entitled to:
- State-provided staff not exceeding four (4) and a furnished and up-to-date office and communication equipment.
- 40 percent of [his] salary to be paid monthly. Staff support consisting of a cook, steward and gardener.
- For security; the state will provide two security persons to be chosen by the former President from state security. Two vehicles for security.
- For transport, President Mahama will be given two vehicles, a chauffeur, maintained and comprehensively insured by the State and changed every four years for life.
- For overseas official travel, the state will fully pay for all of his trips with his wife and two security persons.