Maxwell Mahama’s Mum

Maxwell Mahama’s mum receives late son’s Posthumous MSc from Leicester

Mother of Major Maxwell Mahama, Madam Veronica Bamford has received a posthumous Master of Science in Security and Risk Management from the Leicester University on behalf of her late son.

Maxwell Mahama’s mum who could not hold back her emotions was given a rousing ovation as she stepped out to receive the certificate at the University’s Degree Congregation held last Thursday.

The crowd present at the university auditorium remained on their feet in respect of their fallen colleague, sustaining their applause for close to a minute.

Watch the video below:

Captain Maxwell Adam Mahama was attacked and killed by a mob in Denkyira Obuasi back in May after they had reportedly mistaken him for a robber.

Leicester University in response to the news of his demise disclosed that the Late Maxwell Mahama had enrolled for the master of Science degree in 2015, and was due to graduate at this summer’s degree ceremonies.

Meanwhile, Late Maxwell was posthumously promoted to the position of Major by President Nana Akufo-Addo, following the widespread outrage that greeted his murder, as well as the fact that he was already qualified for the position before his untimely death.

In addition to the promotion, Nana Addo promised that a monument will be erected in honour of the army officer in accordance with an earlier request by the family of the deceased, who believes that the monument would serve as a constant souvenir of the tragedy, as well as a deterrent to the menace of mob justice in Ghana.

The President also announced an Education Trust Fund for the late soldier’s children, which will be set up with an initial deposit of GH¢500,000. According to him, the fund is specifically meant for the upkeep of the deceased wife and two children.

Late Mahama was laid to rest in June, at the Osu Military Cemetery. Police investigations into his murder have since been concluded, with 19 suspected killers facing court trials and under remand.

How Major Maxwell Mahama Died

The gruesome mobbing of late Major Maxwell Adams Mahama is a heartbreaking tale that can be ascribed to a horrific fate.  No one could have perceived such a fate for the young veteran who only woke up like everyone else to a normal morning. He became a victim of false alarm from mobs who were too quick to judge before getting the facts straight.

The soldiers met his tragic fate on Monday, May 29, 2017. It was reported that he left the detachment base around 8:00 am for a 20-kilometer jogging in mufti, with his sidearm. As he walked about 10 kilometers to a place at the outskirts of Denkyira-Obuasi, he stopped to buy some snails from a woman selling food items by the roadside.

It was while taking money from his pocket to pay for his purchase that the snail seller saw his pistol tucked around his waist. Soon after he had left, she called the assemblyman of the area, William Baah, to report what she had seen. Without verifying the information, William Baah, who is now in police custody, mobilized some townfolks to attack the supposedly armed robber who had been sighted by the women.

What transpired next can be left to readers’ imagination. The mob never listened nor gave him the opportunity to identify himself, in the end, Mahama died of severe wounds, contusions, and burns.

The Director-General of Police Criminal Investigation Department (CID), DCOP Bright Oduro who gave a press conference in Accra said most of the people involved in the lynching has been arrested, including women.

Only a person who has lost a dear one in such a manner can understand the heartbreak Maxwell Mahama’s Mum, his wife and entire family are nursing. Hopefully, they will soon get the justice they seek as the murder trial progresses.