Black Stars Manager, James Kwesi Appiah has released the list of players to participate in the 2018 World Cup Qualifier against Uganda. The squad which comprises 26 players are to commence training towards the Ghana-Uganda clash coming up on the 7th of October.
Among the old faces that made the list are Asamoah Gyan, Thomas Partey, Daniel Amartey, Harrison Afful, Jonathan Mensah and some other top players.
However, some prominent oldies were dropped off the Black Stars squad, while some new faces, including junior players were included. The shake-up is in line with Kwesi Appiah’s earlier promise that composition of the national team squad will continually be based on competition and expertise.
Home-based Players Called Up
Since after Black Stars B WAFU victory on Sunday, speculation were rife that Coach Kwesi Appiah will be compelled to include some of the local players who shined during the tournament in the squad for the imminent Ghana-Uganda clash.
Among the speculated WAFU Stars are Hearts of Oak duo Vincent Atingah and Cobbinah Winful, Asante Kotoko captain Amos Frimpong, Aduana Stars goalie Joseph Addo and Inter Allies Isaac Twum.
Although not all of the five made the list, Vincent Atingah, Isaac Twum and Joseph Addo who also made last month’s list were picked.
Other new faces included in the Uganda squad include Kingsley Sarfo of Swedish side Malmo, USA-based Abass Mohammed and Kasim Nuhu of Swiss club Young Boys.
Germany-based defender Daniel Opare also returned to the Black Stars for the first time since after the 2014 World Cup in Brazil following his impressive display for Augsburg.
Ayew Brothers Dropped
Kwesi Appiah’s shake-ups saw the Ayew brothers, Andre and Jordan dropped from the national team. It is believed that Coach Appiah’s decision was fueled by the West Ham and Swansea City players’ pull out from the 2018 World Cup qualifier against Congo in Brazzaville this month.
Recall that the duo were absent in the hope restoring match which saw Ghana beat Congo 5-1 in their home following the Black Stars earlier 1-1 draw with the Red Devils in Ghana.
Aside the Ayew brothers, Jeffrey Schlupp of Crystal Palace, Sivasspor’s John Boye, Edwin Sackey and some other players who featured in the Congo squad were dropped.
Ghana-Uganda Clash Squad – Full List
- Richard Ofori (Martizburg,South Africa)
- Lawrence Ati (Sochaux, France)
- Joseph Addo (Aduana Stars)
- Harrison Afful (Columbus, USA)
- Daniel Opare (Augsburg, Germany)
- Agbenyenu Lumor (Portimonese, Portugal)
- Abass Mohammed (Harrisburg City, USA)
- Kasim Nuhu (Young Boys, Switzerland)
- Daniel Amartey (Leicester,England)
- Jonathan Mensah (Columbus Crew,USA)
- Nicholas Opoku (Club Africain, Tunisia)
- Vincent Atinga (Hearts of Oak)
- Thomas Partey (Atletico Madrid, Spain)
- Joseph Attamah (Bakaksehir, Turkey)
- Christian Atsu (Newcastle United, England)
- Kingsley Sarfo (Malmo, Sweden)
- Alfred Duncan (Sassuolo FC, Italy)
- Ebenezer Ofori (Stuttgart, Germany)
- Thomas Agyepong (NAC Breda, Holland)
- Frank Acheampong (Tianjin TEDA, China)
- Isaac Twum (Inter Allies)
- Patrick Twumasi (Astana FC, Kazakhtan)
- Asamoah Gyan (Kayerispor, Turkey)
- Raphael Dwamena (FC Zurich, Switzerland)
- John Antwi (Misr Lel-Makkasa, Egypt)
- Richmond Boakye Yiadom (Crvena Zvezda, Serbia)